Bitcoin Cash FAQs - Learn more about BCH
Everything you need to know about Bitcoin Cash inside of Exodus.
In this Article:
Bitcoin Cash Address Questions
What is the Bitcoin Cash CashAddr (q address) format?
The "CashAddr" format was developed by the Bitcoin Cash team to encode addresses in a format to reduce user error when sending and receiving Bitcoin Cash. This new format helps distinguish between Bitcoin Cash (BCH) and Bitcoin (BTC) addresses. It starts with a q.
How do I convert my Bitcoin Cash Address (q address) to Legacy Address?
Exodus supports the Bitcoin Cash q address format. If another service does not accept your Exodus Bitcoin Cash q address, you can convert it to a Legacy address. Your BCH will arrive at your Cash address even if sent to the converted Legacy format. All you need to do is:
- Open your Bitcoin cash wallet inside of your Exodus wallet on your desktop or mobile device.
- Click/tap to receive and copy your Bitcoin Cash receive address.
- Next, visit BTC.com address converter, paste in your Bitcoin Cash q Address in the search bar and hit Address Converter button. The explorer will show you both the Legacy and CashAddr formats.
You will see your address converted to Legacy, CashAddr (q address), and BitPay & Copay. Just copy and use the Legacy version of your address.
Please note: We highly recommend double-checking the address you have just converted on another block explorer to be 100% sure that the explorer you used has not been compromised. Just enter the converted address on a Bitcoin Cash block explorer.
Bitcoin Cash Claiming Questions
How do I claim my unclaimed Bitcoin Cash inside of my Exodus wallet?
Below are the instructions on how to claim Bitcoin Cash (BCH) if you had Bitcoin (BTC) in your Exodus wallet on July 31st, 2017:
- Open your Bitcoin Cash (BCH) wallet inside of Exodus. If you don't see BCH in your wallet, you can enable it in Settings.
- Click on the three dots in the upper right corner of your Bitcoin Cash wallet and select the Claim Pre-Fork BCH option:
- After reading the pop-up, click the blue Continue button:
- Exodus will now ask where you want to send your Bitcoin Cash. Your Exodus Bitcoin Cash address will automatically populate into this field. Feel free to use the address or send it to any other Bitcoin Cash wallet of your choice:
- Now, click on Check My Wallet Now button to begin searching for your BCH.
Once the process is finished, Exodus will tell you the total amount of Bitcoin Cash it found for you, and shows the network mining fee this transaction will cost to send it to your Bitcoin Cash wallet.
How do I claim my unclaimed Bitcoin Cash from a different wallet using Exodus?
Below are the instructions on how to claim Bitcoin Cash (BCH) if you had Bitcoin (BTC) in a wallet other than Exodus on July 31st, 2017 using your desktop Exodus wallet now.
- The first thing you will need is your Bitcoin private key from the other wallet that held Bitcoin on July 31st, 2017.
- Once you have the private key, open up your Exodus wallet on your desktop device.
- Make sure you enable Bitcoin Cash.
- All you need to do now is open your Bitcoin Cash wallet in Exodus and click the three dots in the top right corner, then click Move Funds.
- Paste in your Bitcoin private key you grabbed in Step 1.
Exodus will then sweep the private key for Bitcoin Cash and put it into your Exodus wallet!